Saturday, September 25, 2010

what keeps me going... 8 years down the line.. still to be a LEO... :)


Most of my friends tell me enough of being a Leo and I should quit without wasting my time… Given lot of thought to it… I realized… it was 8 years ago…

My heart was in to help out someone less fortunate always but seeing my parents run one meeting to another, I hated Lions and the every bit of wasting time in it… I was forced to join the dilemma and that too as the first club president of a new leo club… when I was picked at the final orientation I was traumatized… it was just after ALs, I had 20 guys and 2 girls in the club… and truly I didn’t know what to do… it wasn’t easy, coz everybody were elder and as a president I didn’t wanna boss them around but STILL had to made them listen and work… I learnt my first lesson from Leoism very soon… not every person can be approached in the same way… to get things done, some need to be buttered up... some need to be complimented… and YES some needs to be yelled at… Flirting must have worked too but it was never my style back then :P Soon I realized that its not easy to lead people from different walks of life without being diplomatic and tactful… never being a diplomat for the last 18 years, I learnt to listen, to ignore, to voice out and mostly to be patient.


Soon I started enjoying little bits of the things I did which kept me going… being a stubborn, spoilt only child of my family it taught me how to be a part of one BIG family… it taught me how the simplest things can make people happy… it taught me how to smile at little things in life… and it made me realize how blessed I was unlike many many less fortunate people in our country…


it taught me that “deadline” & “punctuality” are not just words… it taught me how to be a friend and stay calm when friends be-friend… this movement gave me my first job, it made me to do things I never even dreamt of doing before… I slapped a guy for the first time (a leo yes!!!) , I knitted a jacket for an achchi at an elders home and got blasted for messing it up, held the hand of a seeya when he cried saying how I reminded of his daughter who left him at an elders home to migrate.… I hugged a differently abled kid when he called me "amma" in front of hundreds of people... I sang carols LOUDLY… walked door to door to sell tickets in aid of cancer hospital… I got humiliated million times in public :P


I’ve seen Leos falling in and out of love with each other… I’ve seen them dating and breaking up… I’ve seen some happily married with kids today… was never the same with me, being a person who rarely get attracted to anyone this movement made me get crushes on 2 ;) (not during the same time span.. duh) both awesome ofcourse… and yes I enjoy every bit of it… even now… wont tell the rest:P


This movement taught me how people can change... how crazy… how stupid and how immature they can stoop low to earn “recognition”. It taught me that “competition” is not just a word but includes loads of sweet talks to the face and stabbing behind backs… it taught me how to say NO to people and things I don’t like ;) (ahem… wont go into details there) it taught me how to deal with psychotics and lunatics… (today I can tackle any psychopath without freaking out… lol)

It taught me how to handle criticism without getting affected…. How to accept defeat for unfair reasons…. To stay calm with a smile and realize life is not fair all the time…


I know many who left the movement because of the same reasons that I chose to stay on… experience of all these has been a guide to live my life fully without regrets… to learn, to accept, to fail to fall and then to move on…
This Leo movement made me smile… made me laugh… made me cry… made me yell… made me scream… made me love… made me human and made me LIVE my life… During the past 8 years it has seasoned me, spiced me… tempered me… and it made ME a complete human being… it made ME what im… and maybe that’s why I’m still a LEO… I had more than thousand reasons to quit… but i didn’t, because it taught me a lot much more than Leadership, Experience & Opportunity…

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. very nice to read a honest experience of a true Leo. One more thing I liked was it said something about a humble person, not of a person who thought of him/her self as the all mighty.

    (always) Leo Ranga

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig